"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Monday, February 04, 2008

Winter in Toronto

Got kinda whacked on Friday: Like around 6 inches of snow. Not a huge amount, but enough to make for some inconvenience getting around.

Saturday was just above freezing and extremely slushy and messy for walking about - huge and deep puddles abounded.

Today it's snowing and as the temp heads up just above freezing, it will turn to rain.

Tomorrow, a high of +9C and rain. Same (more or less) for Wednesday.

Cold doesn't bother me. Snow doesn't bother me. This constant up and down, snow and rain, snow then slush - it's wearing on me. Oh well, another month and we'll be through the worst of it.

As much as I'm bothered by the slop, I feel worse for the bike messengers who have to ply through this shit. They're warriors, and I hope that you'll send a kind and encouraging word if one pops into your office today...

7 comments:

La Gatita Gringa said...

Winter in Andalucia: overnight rain but a high of 24 today. Yes, I'm a wuss and I make no apologies.

Me and my camera said...

Yes, but there are monkeys on Gibralter...

La Gatita Gringa said...

Apes. I trust this difference will make our impending visit there (Friday) manageable.

Pappy said...

"who have to ply through this shit"

Your use of 'ply' makes no sense Knarf. Did you mean 'plow'? Or what?

Me and my camera said...

Pappy,

See:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ply

I think the following apply, on one level or another:

2. to carry on, practice, or pursue busily or steadily: to ply a trade.

7. to pass over or along (a river, stream, etc.) steadily or on a regular basis: boats that ply the Mississippi.

8. to run or travel regularly over a fixed course or between certain places, as a boat, bus, etc.

9. to perform one's work or office busily or steadily: to ply with the oars; to ply at a trade.

Pappy said...

This is all deeply disturbing.

J'ai utilize l'anglais pour le dernier fois.

Me and my camera said...

Don't be depressed - just think: you learned a new word today. That's a good thing, no?

;-)

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile