"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Friday, December 07, 2007

Winter Wonderland?

I love snow.

I don't so much love rain, not when the temp's hovering around zero.

But, as I've been told often, "bad weather makes good pictures".

I've not travelled much, and most of the wandering I've done has been in summer, so I have precious-few winter experiences in cities other than those in which I've lived, meaning basically Montreal, Toronto, and the world's biggest hick-town - er, I mean, a mid-sized city in Southern Ontario that shall remain nameless.

Montreal, whatever one might say about it the other three seasons, is a gorgeous city in the winter. Lots of snow, few thaws (at least when I lived there - may be different now, what with global warming and all), it was often covered in a beautiful blanket of white from early December to late February or March. It can be a bit grubby the other seasons, but the fluffy white camoflage makes Montreal a Winter City.

Toronto, on the other hand, is a grey, miserable place in winter. It can get cold, but it's rare for snow to last more than a couple of weeks before a thaw - usually it turns to slush in much less time than that. Consistent cycles of snow and rain, freeze and thaw, make it an uncomfortable place this time of year. It always seems that this city is much colder than the actual temperature would indicate - it's frigid on many levels.

I think this photo captures that...

On a happier note, it's Friday! The workweek is almost over, and we'll be off on another weekend in a few hours. Hopefully I'll see several of you at the TOBMA Holiday Extravaganza on Sunday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Err,... I hate to be grammatically anal but you hope to see many this weekend, not hopefully. ;)

La Gatita Gringa said...

Actually, he hopes to "see several of you" not "many" of you.

Me and my camera said...

whatever...

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile