"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Chris 50; On the Bike Again

I'm still sifting through all of them (one of the joys of digital is that one tends to shoot a lot more than film), but so far, I think this is my favourite shot taken at the TOBMA Holiday Party.

This is Chris 50. I believe he has a last name, and 50 isn't it. 50 is his radio number at UML, one of the top courier companies in Toronto. He's been there forever. He's always had the same number, and 50 is it. And we've always called him Chris 50. Just Chris 50.

Enough about Chris.

So, today I road to the office for the first time since The Big Accident of 2007. Being off the bike for almost two weeks was hell! Last week it was snowy, wet and slick all week, none of which made me want to get back on a bike.

However, by this past weekend enough snow had melted that I was considering fixing the two flats on the Fondriest, exchanging pedals from injured roadbike to trackbike, and think of riding to work. I did all those things, but they were calling for snow yesterday, so I took transit again, regretting it every time I looked out the window to see dry roads. The snow never came.

Today they're calling for freezing rain and/or snow in the afternoon (what the local meteorologists like to call "mixed precipitation"). Still, since it was dry this morning, I decided to ride. If it does rain or snow, I can subway home, leaving the bike here to ride home tomorrow (as it's supposed to be sunny).

We'll see how it goes.

It was great to be back on the iron steed (actually, it's aluminium, but that just doesn't sound right: "aluminium steed"), but on the way to work doesn't some old man pull up to a stop sign, stop, and continue through the intersection, causing me to swerve and lock up? I yell at him that "I didn't have a stop sign!" and he did, and I had the right of way. He looked at me like I was from another planet - maybe even another universe - and drove off.

Sigh. Same old, same old...

Anyway, riding was a treat, even in the cold and the damp. Nothing like being on a bike to lift one's spirits!

7 comments:

La Gatita Gringa said...

Hey, was that a photo of Chris 47?

Me and my camera said...

No, that would be Chris 50

Di Mackey said...

Hooray for digital cameras ... lovely photographs, Mr Knarf. Slices of life and all that.

Anonymous said...

What would I be if I were a courier? Chrisso 1??

Me and my camera said...

Do you have a radio? Is your radio number 1?

If so, you could be Chrisso 1.

Don't confuse a two-way radio with a cordless...

La Gatita Gringa said...

He has no radio. He would be Chrisso O.

Anonymous said...

No, Chad has the cordless.

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile