"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Monday, November 05, 2007

The Switching Yard

Remember Warren Zevon?

Most remember him as the singer/songwriter of that novelty song, Werewolves of London; you probably heard it recently, because they drag it out every Hallowe'en. Those who are more familiar of his work will know that he was a serious musician, one of the most intelligent rockers out there.

Sadly, he succumbed to cancer in 2003, having refused treatments so he could record a final album, The Wind

His breakthrough album was 1978's Excitable Boy, which I played so often the grooves have long since worn smooth. Among my favourites from that disc was Night Time in the Switching Yard. This photo reminded me of that song, even though it clearly wasn't taken at night.

If it has a "different" look, that's because I tried a new (to me) Photoshop plug-in that simulates infrared. I've always thought that IR was a bit gimmicky (but in the right hands - Hello Dave! - it can be very effective), however I think this one looks kind of interesting.

In other news, the time change was this weekend, so I had the joy of riding to work in the morning light (turned off the headlight about 15 minutes into the ride!). It's been fairly dark as I leave the office anyway, so pitch black at 6pm won't be a bother. That extra 45 minutes of light in the morning makes a huge difference, however. A nice way to start a week, to be sure!

2 comments:

La Gatita Gringa said...

Personally, I'd like to see a before and after - just to gauge the difference.

Me and my camera said...

Before was colour. I didn't convert it to B&W then IR. I guess I could do a "regular" BW conversion...

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile