"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ex Orient Lux

In the photo, you'll see Jamr counting. What happens, you might wonder, if he has to count higher than ten? In fact, he managed to count to fourteen! Perhaps he managed that feat because a stunning TOBMA Courier Appreciation Day T-shirt was at stake.

Fourteen is the number of courier companies Jamr has worked for - quite an honour, and certainly worth the effort for the T-shirt.

In non-related news, this morning was the coldest in a while - finally our record-setting Global Warming Extravaganza seems to have ended (a cold front blew in yesterday mid-afternoon), and we're getting seasonal temperatures. It was around 6C when I left the house this morning: it so worried me that I overdressed, and shed a layer 1/2 way into my ride.

Now it's dark as hell when I leave the house; not a glimmer of light in the eastern sky. The heavens are pitch black, and remain so for at least twenty minutes into the commute. The first welcome sign of dawn hit me at about Davenport and Dovercourt. This weekend the clocks "fall behind", giving me light for the ride in, darkening the ride home (I now get about 15 minutes of light in the evening).

Ex Orient Lux...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: EST

Not yet, mon ami. I believe the eternal darkness commences on the first Sunday of November this year. You forget we've now adopted the American version of time measurement... uh-oh...

La Gatita Gringa said...

Should be "Ex oriente lux". The preposition 'ex' takes the ablative case and because this is a 3rd declension noun, the ending is an 'e'.

When the f* did Canada adopt the US system for time change?

frejus track said...

Hey Knarf..if u want 2 c pic of Fondriest go to Moving Target click on Forum, and then select 13/10 Alley Nhatt, scroll down and click on Sol's photo link and she is there...first photo..peace

Me and my camera said...

Very cool, frejus! Aluminium frame, right? Lovely paintjob! It looks older than mine, judging by the straight head-tube.

La gatita,

Thanks for the Latin lesson. I couldn't decide if there was an E in Oriente - I never did learn my 3rd declension nouns properly.

I didn't know anything about this US DST shit. As far as I was aware, it's always been the weekend before Hallowe'en - never after. More creeping US Cultural Imperialism, I'm afraid...

Annabellie said...

You should've known it was Ex Oriente Lux... that was my high school's motto! And we had that stupid song to go with it (written circa 1960):

Ex Oriente Lux from the East comes light!
So we will let our actions shine!
We stand behind the teams who represent us all,
And leave oponents running when they hear us call.
We'll cheer your banner E.C.I.!
We'll hold it up and let it fly!
The red, grey, white will reach the sky!
We'll fight for Eastwood's victory!

Sang ad nauseam at football games, graduations, etc...

La Gatita Gringa said...

Last Sunday before November - that's the rule of thumb. I know that there was a movement afoot before I left Canada so sync time changes with the US but I thought it had been quashed.

La Gatita Gringa said...

I stand corrected:
http://www.timetemperature.com/tzca/daylight_saving_time_canada.shtml

"NEW! In 2007 Daylight Saving Time begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. ... This change in Daylight Saving Time will keep Canada's Daylight Saving Time pattern consistent with the United States ..."

F*ckers

Me and my camera said...

Anne,

Yes, I remember as a Renegade (GRCI) going to Eastwood for the first time, seeing Ex Oriente Lux at centre court of your gym. We (being teenagers and thinking we were funny) said it had to do with Asian Laundry Detergent (do they even make Lux detergent anymore?).

LGG,

Why, I wonder, must ~we Canadians~ change our longstanding "rules of thumb" to be "consistent with the United States"? Why wouldn't ~they~ change to be consistent with our patterns?

As if...

Anyway, this stuff got me pretty pissed off yesterday, so I invite you (and everyone else) to click on the Red and White Ribbon on my main page.

Say "NO!" to Deep Integration with the USA! True North Strong and Free, baby!!

Anonymous said...

jamma - pajammer!!

and hillbilly (i loves them so i can says it and they can call me skinny behind my back)

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile