"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Blame America

Okay, so you know that I'm not big booster of the USA - at least not its government, nor of it's foreign policy.

That's not to say that I don't like the US. Actually, I love it! The places I've visited (admittedly few) the people I've met have all left me with overwhelmingly positive feelings. It's a pretty cool place.

But, as Pierre Trudeau said, living next to the US is like being next to an elephant: The huge beast may be docile and benign, but one is aware of its every grunt and twitch.

One thing about being the only superpower on the planet, is that it has become a lighteningrod for all international problems It's blamed for everything. In Toronto, everyone protests in front of the US Consulate. It's now de rigeur for every protest march to wind it's way down University Avenue to finish with rhetorical speeches, singing of anthems and waving of flags in front of the consulate. Virtually every weekend someone has something to say to or about the Americans. I'm sure that the day will come (if it hasn't already) that reservations will be required.

So, Saturday I'm strolling down Queen Street, and as I cross University, I look up to see unfamiliar flags being waved with much gusto in the "traditional" protest square. I knew that Kosovo had recently declared independance from Serbia; in fact several days ago I looked at some wonderful photos taken by an acquaintance of mine in London, England of the joyous celebration of Kosovo ex-pats there. So, I wasn't surprised when, as I approached this group in Toronto, I saw several placards mentioning "Kosovo".

But there was nothing celebratory about these participants. They were Serbs, and as the above photo shows, they weren't happy at all! Their displeasure stemmed from the fact that not only had Kosovo seceded, but that much of the world, including the USA, had recognized Kosovo's sovreignty.

Kosovo, it seems, is "the heart" of Serbia, the place where a medieval battle against the Turks, while lost, is considered to have "defined" modern-day Serbia.

Or something like that.

So, since the US has dared to recognize Kosovo, some Serbs are putting the blame squarely on the Superpower for the fracturing of their country. Like it was a strong, cohesive, homogeneous place before US endorsement of Kosovo? Uh, yeah, sure...

Hey, when all else fails, demonstrate in front of the American Consulate. Because that changes things, doesn't it?

I guess there's a reason that they call it "Balkanization"...

9 comments:

La Gatita Gringa said...

I know that Spain hasn't recognized Kosovo's sovereignty but that may have something to do with having its own (nest of vipers) separatists at home.

Pappy said...

I believe it is spelled 'seceded', not 'seceeded'.
Nice photo Knarf.

Copyeditor

Me and my camera said...

Thanks, Pappy. Duly amended.

-he who eschews spellcheck

Me and my camera said...

Sadly, there are countries that are failing to recognize Kosovo due to their own internal politics. Spain can't tell the Basques, "we refuse to 'grant' you independence", as they turn to Kosovo and pat them on the back.

Interesting that Canada hasn't taken a position yet - could it be because of the tiny problem of Quebec sovreignty? Hmmm...

who stole the kishka? said...

Since most Kosovars are "ethnic Albanians" shouldn't they be protesting the Albanian consulate?

Which is probably situated in Tie Domi's rec room.

Which probably means a huge brawl would erupt.

Now that's a picture!

Me and my camera said...

Is there an Albanian consulate in Toronto?

Does it matter?

Anonymous said...

Sure there is. The Coffee Time at Queen and Sherbourne.

Anonymous said...

Can I protest your use of "lighteningrod"?

Eric(K) said...

randomer here:

normally when i travel i am quick to tell people when they hear me speak english that i am irish in case they think i am english or american. It's like the way canadians always have a canadian badge on their backpacks. well when i was in kosova last summer and people heard me speak english they instantly thought i was american and loved me, everybody was friendlier because they thought i was american, weird, it must be the only place in the world where americans are almost universally loved

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile