"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Way

As many of you know, I dispatch bike messengers. Tell them what to pick up, tell them when to go drop those things off.

This year, two from among my charges sent me little gifts. They were totally unexpected, and most appreciated. One was a bottle of Barley Wine from Mill Street, a local microbrewery. Kind of a cross between beer and a liqueur, it's a strong, tasty sipping potable. The gifter signed it, with appropriate holiday greetings and wishes.

The first day back to work after Christmas, another small package came to me from downtown, from the drop-box which the messengers use to shuttle various items to and from the head office in the 'burbs (where I toil). It was a simple bag wrapped with an elastic band; the most cursory of inspections indicated the bag surrounded a book. On the bag were the words, "To Frank, thanks for everything!" - but no signature. I assumed it to have been from a messenger.

Inside was the most gorgeous little book: Tales from the Tao - The Wisdom of the Taoist Masters. This exquisite volume features ancient Taoist stories illustrated with incredible landscape photographs from (it appears) China or The East.

As a former student of philosophy (okay, it was like 30 years ago, but still...) and as a photographer of sorts, it appeals to me on many levels. I've been reading it on the subway, and finished it this morning. I don't know much about Taoism, but reading this has had (and is having) a huge impact on me. Amazing stuff!

Now I have a problem. I'd love to thank the person who sent it to me. It's so weird: whoever sent it must know me very well, better than I'd have thought the messengers in my "brood" know me. I have the feeling that this gift was chosen with great care and after much consideration.

If that's the case, then I must conclude that the omission of the giver's name was quite deliberate.

Or was it? Perhaps it was just a serendipitous act, a book was randomly chosen and sent off to me. Perhaps the sender did indeed forget to sign their name to the gift.

Should I ask from among my couriers who sent it? Should I at least send a text message thanking that person but not asking for their identity? I'd like that person to know how much I appreciate their gesture.

Right now I'm thinking I should just accept the book with silent gratitude, and pass on the good wishes to someone else: "pay it forward" as it were. That might be the most appropriate course of action, especially given the little that I've able to learn from the gift itself.

7 comments:

Pappy said...

Well, it wasn't me Knarf, just for the record. I say just let the mystery eat away at you until one day it will be solved without your doing anything.

Anonymous said...

It was me ;)

Me and my camera said...

Cool!

(like I believe you...)

;-)

Anonymous said...

No - it was me!

Me and my camera said...

How do I know you're the same anonymous as the first one?

Anonymous said...

You don't but we are.
How mysterious!

Anonymous said...

Not sure what you did but...

the Way says "sweep that thought away" or "don't strive to know". '

It is the Way.

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile