"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hell's Grannies

Every time I see a senior zipping by on one of these electric scooters, I think of the infamous Monty Python sketch. I know, Hell's Grannies had nothing to do with mobility devices (being as they weren't around back then), it's more the attitude of some of today's seniors on their "mobies" that reminds me of that title.

Screaming along at 10 km/h, horns constantly beeping, exhorting (not asking, mind you) people to get out of the way, they rule the sidewalks, striking fear into the hearts of mere pedestrians.

Okay, okay, I exaggerate for "literary" (hah! as if!) purposes. Most drivers of these carts are polite, courteous and patient; the noisey few change the way I look at the quiet majority. Still, there's a steelie look of determination in some of their eyes as they bear down on me that scares me just a bit. Years of pent-up frustration caused by impaired mobility must be suddenly released when the sit on their "ride", preparing to sally forth for the day.

Perhaps one day, I'll trade two wheels for four. Then
you better look out for me!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile