"The optimist says this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears he is right." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I Got Culture

And I don't mean like yogurt.

I alluded to it yesterday, but on Sunday night, my better half and I went to a concert at Trinity College Chapel in the University of Toronto.

Trinity Chapel is a beautiful building, both inside and out, and the acoustics are stunning; the perfect venue for a small chamber orchestra such as the Classical Consort. We heard a programme of Prokofiev, Beethoven and McAndrew.

McAndrew? Yes, Ian McAndrew, a close friend of The Partner, premiered Sinfonia for String Orchestra, Opus 25, (I wonder what happened to the first 24?) commissioned specifically for this evening by the conductor Ashik Aziz (a 25 year old wunderkind who I know will be a major force in the world of classical music).

The weekend snowstorm meant that about a third of the pews of the chapel were empty, but those who braved the elements were blessed with an evening of wonderful music.

I was fortunate enough to have access to the orchestra during the sound check (aka dress rehearsal) for photographic purposes, and this shot is an early fave of mine. Hopefully you'll like it, too.

4 comments:

Di Mackey said...

I like it very muchly actually.

Me and my camera said...

Thank you!

:-)

Buckles said...

I got culture too. And I DO mean like yoghurt.

a tale of two cities said...

really love the pictures. they are quite beautiful. :) thank you for the lovely words :)

Followers

Blog Archive

The Animal Rescue Site
photoblog-community

Photoblogs.org - The Photoblogging Resource

CoolPhotoblogs.com
My profile